At Henry Street Dental Care, we believe that prevention is better than cure. We also know that long-term dental management feels a whole lot better than emergency repairs. Preventive dentistry aims to identify and manage potential problems early and avoid the need for more extensive treatment in the future. If you suspect that you are at a risk for developing serious dental problems, you can visit Henry Street Dental Care for preventative dental assessment and risk-reducing treatment.
What does our preventive dental care involve?
Our dentists are committed to helping you keep your teeth for life. The easiest way to achieve this is by preventing problems before they start to affect your mouth. During your visit for preventive care, our dentists may perform the following tasks:
- Check all of your teeth for signs of cavity and decay
- Check existing crowns, bridges, fillings and other restorative works for wear and tear
- Examine for gum disease
- Evaluate your teeth for the benefits of fissure sealants
- Screen the oral mucosa and gums for signs of oral cancer
- X-rays are taken to detect decay, cysts, infection, tumors and bone loss
- Fluoride treatment to strengthen enamel
- Removal of disease-causing plaque and calculus
- Polishing of teeth for a smooth and easy to maintain surface
How can we help?
Our aim is to help patients maintain their optimal oral health, which reduces the risk of needing complex dental treatments. Part of the prevention plan is patient education on oral health and disease, dietary advice, and tips for the maintenance of good oral hygiene at home. This may involve suggestions for oral care products that are specific to your needs.
In addition, regular check-ups and cleans are one of the best preventive dentistry techniques. We will be able to monitor your teeth and gums and make sure they are being maintained and cared for to the best of your and our ability.
Our dentists also recommend periodic x-rays every few years to check that everything under your gums is in good condition too.
How to prevent tooth decay
At our practice, we want to help you prevent tooth decay before it starts. Here’s how:
- Brush your teeth twice a day, after breakfast and before going to bed.
- Use fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss twice a day.
- See your dentist for regular check-ups so that any early problems can be treated before major, expensive treatments are needed.
- Don’t snack before bedtime. Food left on the teeth overnight is more likely to cause cavities.
- Avoid foods and drinks that are high in sugar, especially soft drinks, sweet cereal, desserts, and sticky foods.
As with preventing tooth decay, you need regular check-ups. At home, you need to brush and floss at least twice a day to reduce the build-up of plaque, which is usually the cause of gum disease. Rinsing your mouth with a mouthwash that’s used to treat gingivitis can be helpful, and try to avoid sugary foods and drinks.
If you are looking for more information about preventive dentistry, contact the experts at Henry Street Dental Care.