Teeth naturally come in a myriad of white shades but can become darker with time. Age, certain food and drinks, smoking, and even some medications can contribute to darker teeth. With years of experience, the cosmetic dentists at Henry Street Dental Care can recommend the best teeth whitening procedure to give you back your smile.
Kinds of teeth whitening treatments
There are two different whitening techniques recommended based on the severity of the discolouration:
- “In-office whitening” takes place in the dental clinic under professional supervision. The procedure usually takes 45-60 minutes. We utilise hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide that reacts with the embedded stain and whitens the tooth from the deeper layers out.
- “At-home whitening” involves wearing thin custom-made trays. A lower concentration whitening gel is used to fill up the trays.Results are achieved gradually at the patient’s convenience at home and can take between 1-4 weeks.
How long do results last?
The whitening treatment is designed for long-lasting results, but this can vary between individuals. The treatment chosen and lifestyle choices play a factor in how long the results last. The best results are achieved for patients who regularly maintain a high standard of oral hygiene and continued care.
- We do not recommend teeth whitening for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- It is not permanent.
- The degree of whiteness will vary from individual to individual depending on the condition of the teeth and the type of whitening system used.
- It will only work on natural teeth and extrinsic stains.
What is in-chair teeth whitening?
It is the quickest dental solution for removing or reducing stains and discolouration. It involves the application of a whitening product directly onto the teeth and the use of heat to activate and/or accelerate the whitening agent.
Results are typically achieved within one 45-60 minute dental appointment.
When is in-chair teeth whitening used?
It is an ideal solution for people wanting instant results.
What are the benefits of in-chair teeth whitening?
These are several advantages:
- Dentists typically use whitening products that contain stronger concentrations of hydrogen peroxide compared with off-the-shelf or take-home products. This ensures results within one 45-60 minute dental visit.
- The whitening agent is directly applied to the tooth so that the use of mouth trays is unnecessary.
- Dentists supervise the treatment and can control the amount of whitening that occurs.
- Dentists use a rubber shield to protect the gums from the whitening product.
- The dentist can better match the stain type with the appropriate treatment, leading to better results.
What is take-home teeth whitening?
Our dentist creates a customised mouth tray to which the whitening product is the added. The patient can then take the mouth tray home with the whitening product, wearing it at specific intervals over a period of up to 4 weeks.
When is take-home teeth whitening used?
It is a cost-effective solution for people wanting whiter, brighter teeth.
What are the benefits of take-home teeth whitening?
These are several advantages:
- Custom-fitted mouth trays (made from impressions taken by the dentist) ensure maximum contact between the product, which is applied to the mouth tray, and the teeth.
- Custom-fitted mouth trays minimize contact of the whitening gel with the gum tissue.
- The whitening product is milder than products used within dental surgeries, which leads to less tooth sensitivity and control over the shade of white that is achieved.
- It is more affordable than in-chair teeth whitening.
Positive results from this treatment rely on compliance with the at-home portion of the treatment.
For a whiter and brighter smile, call Henry Street Dental Care and talk to our experienced dentists. We will evaluate the extent of your tooth discolouration and can suggest to you the most suitable options.